Sunday, May 24, 2009

Psychiatrist

Our behavioral therapist had suggested that we take Kelsie to a psychiatrist to see if there was anything he could do to help with her anxiety/mood issues. After waiting 2 months for an appointment we finally saw him on Friday. Going in I was really afraid that he would just say put her on this medicine and this medicine and lets see what happens (I was fully prepared to question any medication recommendations, because Mike and I are against meds unless they are absolutely necessary). I was very pleasantly surprised that he agrees with what Mike and I feel that she shouldn't be on medicine at this time. The only thing he said that he might suggest trying on her most severe days would be to give her an antihistamine to calm her down, but other than that he wouldn't suggest anything.

He said that he does agree with the diagnoses that we have received, but feels as we do that she is making some major strides especially lately in her social skills and her development milestones. She is getting closer to catching up to her peers and seems to have a little less backsliding. He even suggested that it seems like she is working her way toward the milder side of the autism spectrum from where she started. (She has always been on the mild side anyway, but he was saying that she is even improving from there) I came out of the appointment feeling so much better about our current choices of therapy and course of action to continue to help her cope with her issues. Although he wasn't able to offer much assistance, just his affirmation that we were taking the proper steps seemed to make me feel so much better. I am so glad we went and I regret wasting as much time as I did worrying about what he would say!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a good visit with some solid direction and encouragement. you guys are doing so well with her!

    ReplyDelete