Wednesday, January 14, 2009

3 yr Dr Appointment

Kelsie had her 3 year well child exam today. She weighs 29lbs and is 36 inches tall. She is still petite being in the 30% for weight and only the 20% for her height. No surprise there as she has always been on the petite side since shortly after she was born. She was a whopping 8lbs 8oz at birth which initially put her in the 90%, but that didn't last long.

This was the first appointment that they took her weight and height standing up and she liked that so much better than when she had to lay down on the scale. However this is also the first time she had to have her blood pressure taken. She did not like that at all! She was OK with it at first, but they apparently weren't getting good readings and tried to do it another 3 times. By the second time she had enough and decided she was scared of the blood pressure machine!

Unfortunately that made the rest of the appointment not go as well as I had hoped. She cooperated for her heartbeat, ears, eyes, and throat check, but when it came to them having to lay her down to check her belly and diaper area we had major drama! She started fussing and hollering "No don't do that". Luckily the Dr was quick, but depite that Kelsie kept repeating "I want to go home" the entire rest of the appointment. This of course made the question portion of the appointment very difficult for me.

I am so thankful Mike was there to handle it, because Dr Perona and I would have never been able to talk to each other with Kelsie agitated like that! We were disappointed that we didn't get very much help in regards to potty training with a just don't push it answer. I was really hoping for some insight on how to calm Kelsie's current fear of the potty. We were also disappointed in how rushed we felt. The Drs are currently in a temporary building and I guess that makes them rush through the appointments. I was not happy with that at all, because we need answers about where to go for therapy that would be covered by our insurance. Dr Perona did say she was going to call around for us though, so hopefully we will get some insight after the fact.

Even when Dr Perona questioned us she didn't really wait for our full answer. For example she asked about Kelsie's eating habits and all I got through was PB&J and fruit before we were onto the next question. I guess I just expect more at a well child exam. I expect them to allot more time to those appointments than they would sick child appointments. I was also so surprised, because I have never felt rushed before with Dr Perona. I am hoping this was an isolated incident and that things will get back to normal soon!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that we used the same pediatrician's office. I didn't know they were in a temporary building, cause I haven't had to use them yet, but I wonder if that did have something to do with it? Usually on well child checks they are really relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't have to go while they are in that building. Everything about it is really small and cramped and they didn't have separate well child room. Everyone was almost literally on top of each other. They are supposed to be at their new location next month, so if you can wait on a appt I would highly recommend that you do!

    ReplyDelete